Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Day 13 - Salta to Rosario

I am continuing to love Salta. I really enjoy having the sun beat down on me. I went to the market again today. I cannot get enough of their wooden beads. I really like them. The bracelets are only 3 pecos each, so 1 dollar. I bet you can guess what everyone is going to be getting about now. :)

Birds
Salta has some really ugly birds. They have these wird discolored ducks. They look like they could be related to a malard duck, except only much ugyler. Their eyes are blood red, their feathers all look like they are falling out, and their feet look green. I should have taken a picture of one. They also have white and brown and black and white pigeons here. I like the brown and white ones, but that is about it.

More Folks for Isral
At the hostel today I met even more people from Isral. That makes my Isral count up to five. One of the guys I was talking to was saying he doesn´t meet a lot of Americans on his travels. I am starting to realize how little we get out of our own country. The guy from Isral was surprised I have only wmt two people from Isral while in Argentina. He said today alone he met a group of five. They all had lunch together. I guess I just don´t notice them. They told me to look for people with big heads. They are probably from Isral.

The Bakeries (again)
On my way to the market today I stopped off at another bakery. At this bakery you can buy fresh sandwiches to go. They are so good. I paid two pecos for a sandwhich made with this mornings freshly baked bread. It was so good.

In addition to my sandwich I was able to limit myself to only two pastries today. I think I´ll have to fast for the next week to compensate for all of the food I have been intaking the past couple of days.

Cafe
Today I had lunch at this nice little cafe in the town center. It was pretty quite because most of the stores were closed for their afternoon break. They´ll reopen at six or seven pm, but I will be on my way to Rosario by then. I had this very unikque dish. It was like a sausage and ham wrap with cheese and mustered. It looked like an elaborate hotdog. One thing about being here is I can´t really read the menue very well so I just pick something and eat what they bring me. I try and avoid the manase because they seem to put it on everything, but that is really hard to do. Whatever it was it was delicious.

I feel much more rushed in Salta at the cafes then I did in Iguazu or Buenos Aires. Not too rushed, bust still rushed. I think it is because the waiters just stand there looking at you waiting for you to call them.

Once again there was a begging kid while I was at the cafe. It was kind of funny though. He knew he wasn´t supposed to be there so when he saw the waiter he hid behind a pole. The waiter saw him though and shoed him away. He may just be a begging kid right now, but he will be flat out annoying when he is older. I think all of the Juneau beggers have made me hate beggers. You can tell the waiter at the cafe doesn´t take well to beggers or kids trying to sell you stuff while his customers are eating. He is kind of funny when those people come around.

The Bus
On the bus today I finally figured out the difference between the cama and the semi cama. The cama has much bigger seats and they feed you better food. It is also not as dirty. At first I thought I liked the cama more, but in the end turns out I like the semi cama more. In the semi cama you can lift up the armrest between the two seats and lay across them if you don´t have anyone next to you, on the cama you can´t so you are stuck sleeping with your feet hanging down. I don´t like that at all. Neither are as cheap as a hostel, but at least the feed you on both.

I didn´t end up taking that many pictures while I was in Salta. I think it is because I was so caught up in the town. If I were to come back to Argentina I would spend all of my time in Salta´s province. It is so beautiful.

Out of all of the cities I have been to so far, Salta has been my favorite. Iguazu was my second favorite. I like Salta because of the atmosphere, the location, and the weather. I like Iguazu because of its unique beauty, including the waterfalls and the red soil on the roads. (I don´t know if I took a picture of the roads or not, but they were really cool.) Rosario was beautiful, but too big. Buenos Aires really is the heart of Argentina, but entirely too big for my tastes. I think I will enjoy Baralochie. I think I am going to leave Bariloche and go to Mendoza and just relax before heading back to Buenos Aires for the last leg of my trip. Either that or I will meet Courtney in Baralochie (she is in Chile) and we´ll take the bus back to BA together.

I think that since I am going to be in BA I am going to try and take a tango class. I have a week, why not. I want to learn to tango.

No comments: