Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Day 25 - Last Day in Uruguay

Uruguay or Home
I spent my last day in Uruguay relaxing on a bench by the water then having lunch at a cafe. It was a beautiful day. While I was in Uruguay I was actually thinking about whether I really would want to be at home or here. Home won. I think only because I know it is summer there and a summer in Alaska is not something I am about ready to give up. If I was I would be on my way to Bolivia right now, not hanging out in Uruguay.

Tourists
Colonia, Uruguay really has a lot of tourists from the US and Great Britain. During lunch at the cafe the entire row of tables I was in was full of people from Great Britain and the US. There were also a few other folks speaking English, I assume they were from the US based on their accents, but I am not 100% sure. My room at the hostel I shared with two girls from Holland. They were so sweet. They had gotten into Buenos Aires two weeks ago and before that they were in New York. Then on the ferry from Uruguay to Buenos Aires I met three people from Chicago. I would have been completely satisfied if I had not met them. They were loud and obnoxious, nice yes, but extremely irritating. I do not think I was the only one who felt that way either.

Back in Buenos Aires
Once I made it to the hostel in Buenos Aires (Gecko Hostel) and checked in I went for my last steak dinner at my new favorite restaurant. While I was eating my dinner and reading my book it began down pouring. As I hurried my stuff inside I met some more people, a girl from Washington, D.C. and her Argentine boyfriend. She invited me to join them, so I allowed them to finish their dinner then did. It turns out the girl is from D.C., originally one of the Carolinas. The guy is from Argentina, but had lived in Canada for the past five years and just now moved home. When the girl was in D.C. she worked for this consulting firm on behalf of the companies on the North Slope. She had been to Alaska a few times and really liked it, but she was only here for business so no time to check out the state. The guy, Fernando, has always wanted to go to AK. He is really intrigued by it. Anyway, the girl got really burnt out because it was such a high stress job so after five years she is moving on to new things, but in the mean time she is going to hang out in Argentina. Once again I have had a pretty good day. So I went back to my hostel and with the help of a couple glasses of red wine I was out like a light. :)

No comments: