Saturday, May 10, 2008

Day 15 - Bus to Baralochie

I am once again on a bus. This time I am with my new friend John. We are on our way to Baralochie. (I know I spell that city differently each time I spell it, but in the end, around the last time I spell it, it will probably be right.)

The drive has been mostly farmland, nothing too exciting.

John was telling me one of his friends in Rosario told him a volcano erupted in Chile last week so Baralochie has been seeing both snow and ash. I reserved a hostel for us for two nights. I only did two because I am thinking about going to Chile for a day then back to Baralochie, since Courtney is there I figured why not. The hostel is supposed to be in a penthouse in the tallest building in Baralochie. It should prove to be pretty cool. If the weather is nice we will go on an all day horse riding trip on the 10th. I am very excited.

This morning, while I packed, I watched the news. The news focused a lot on international matters. It had the 60th Anniversary coverage of Israel on. It was very interesting to learn a little bit about Israel. I think it would turn out to be a very interesting place to visit. It seems as if the people there would be very culturally diverse. I say that because so many people travel who are from Israel, based on what I heard and have seen. I am learning first hand that you learn a lot about your country, yourself, and other cultures while you are travelling. I bet the people there would also have a slightly cocky mentality because everyone must serve time in the military. I don’t think it is somewhere I would like to visit, even though I am told most people there speak very good English. Their language is Hebrew, but everyone I have met speaks very fluent English.

Courtney called me. John helped me put credit on my cell phone. It was good to be able to talk to her so we could figure out our plan, but I really hate having a cell phone again. They are so convenient, but at the same time very burdensome. It was nice not having one for awhile.

The other thing on the news today was the US democratic primaries. I actually feel more informed outside the US then I did inside. I am realizing now more then ever the true importance of foreign policy. Between my experience in the legislature and my studies this year and my travelling within a foreign nation I am realizing the true power the US president holds, more so in the world then in the US. At least with domestic relations the president must have concurrence with congress, but in regards to foreign relations the concurrence doesn’t come into affect until after actions are taken by the president, which is constitutional based on Supreme Court ruling, which further strengthens my theory that the executive and judicial branches are by far the most powerful branches of government. Enough of my political analysis though. I am done with my rampage, back to my trip. It is going well.

No comments: