Monday, May 26, 2008

Day 24 - Uruguay

Uruguay
I have had a wonderful day in Colonia Uruguay. I am really glad I came here. This is by far the oldest city I have ever been to. The streets are made of cobble stone. Someone took a lot of time and put a lot of effort into making these roads. The town is right on the river. The river is huge. You can see the islands on it, but you cannot see across it. I must be on the mouth of the river, or at least near it. It is the only explanation for its width. There is a beautiful light house and some old ruins I have not put forth the effort in finding out the historical value of yet. The streets are tree lined. This really is a quaint little town. I love it.

Bike Riding
I borrowed a bike from the hostel I am staying at to go explore the town. Riding a bicycle on cobble stone streets is more difficult then I ever would have imagined. My arms went through every stage of numbness ranging from tingling to itching. It was due to the constant bumps your body incurs while riding on the streets. That is what you get when you ride around on 400 year old roads.

The Roads
The roads here are quite interesting. There is traffic, but the only regulations are the courteousness the drivers choose to use. In all of my riding today I saw two stop signs. That is it. No other stop signs, no yield signs, no street lights, no cops regulating traffic, no nothing. When you come to a cross street/intersection, if it is empty you go or you wait your turn. There is nothing more to it.

The roads are shared by all. While riding my bike I came across cars, golf carts, motorcycles, city busses, coach buses, 4-track vehicles, but primarily mopeds. While I was riding downhill, at unknown speeds, I once again began feeling itchy in my arms due to the stages of numbness setting in. All I could think about on my way down was how bazaar it would be if one of those families of three on their moped came plowing into the intersection with mom driving, baby on moms lap, and dad crammed on the back, all without helmets (that is how they all drive), and we had an accident. Or if I did not get hit by the family on the moped perhaps I would run into the old folk tourists who seem to enjoy cruising around on their rental golf carts or maybe I would be side swiped by a motorcycle (which almost happened by the way). I do not know which would be more bazaar, Alaskan v. Family of Three on Moped, Out of Control Bicyclist T-Bones Old Couple in Golf Cart, or Motorcycle Sideswipes Bicyclists, Sends Her Flying. All would undoubtedly be painful to me, but never-the-less, unforgettable.

Hostel Espanola
The hostel I am staying at here is really amazing. It is called Hostel Espanola. I am sharing a dorm with two girls from Holland. They told me their names, but I have already forgotten.

You walk in through the double gated doors and to the right is the office. The halls are a beautiful yellow. (The halls are actually considered outside, but there is a roof.) There is a kitchen, dinning room, and computer room, also inside. Each room has a door outside (or to the hall) like an outlet mall, if I had to describe it, except shaped in a box with the only admittance from the street being the gated double doors, if that makes sense. There is a courtyard in the middle of the “complex” where I like to sit. You can see the moon and feel the breeze. There are also a lot of potted plants out. They add a nice touch to the tree in the center.

I am really glad I came to Uruguay. I love it here.

No comments: