Thursday, May 1, 2008

Day 8 - Corrientes

Corrientes has turned otu to be a bit of a disappointment. The town seems vacant. The people didn´t start coming out until about 5:00 pm. I don´t know where they were. Appartently everything has some weird hours here. Stores, shops, everything except hotels and a few gas station like ships are closed. Finding internet access in this town is near impossible. That is another thing about outside of BA...everywhere has wireless internet, but no one owns laptops. The town wouldn´t be so inconvienient if I found the town more intreging. I cannot leave until 1 am thought. That actually works out well in a way because then I don´t have to pay for a hotel.

Corrientes is very much a small quaint little town. There are not that many places to sit down and relax though. The park along the river front is beautiful. You should see it at sunset. There are people who bring their lawn chairs and sit in them inbetween the paths. There are people who park beside the path and play their steros, all I have heard is classical music, and sit on nearby benches. The atmosphere is very laid back. poeople walk very slow through the parks. Many boys have their fishing poles in the water. Unlike in Rosario you can go right up to the cement above the river (I don´t know what you call it). There are also les begging children. Only one kid tried to sell me stuff and I just shook my head and walked away.

The architecture of Corrientes is by far the most beautiful I have seen so far. There are a lot of pillers with trees twisted and grown in and around them. There is a mural that apparently tells a story of the city. The mural is beautiful, but not as incrediable as I was amaging based on my readings. The weather probably didn´t help today though. It made me kind of moody.

I have heard the people who live in Correients don´t like to work. They prefer tospend their time with their families and friends. That is hy they work the hours they do...whatever hours those are. I am hear on a weekday, whether that makes a difference or not I don´t know. I think it is an interesting concept. I think I would like it if I lived here too.

Well tonight I take the bus to Iguazu. Courtney made me reservations at a hostel...bless her heart. I was ever so appreciative. No one understands my spanish. :) We converse better in person when I can make hand gestures and expressions with my face.

1 comment:

Heather Heineken said...

Wow! What an adventure you are on. It is amazing how reading your thoughts and memories can spark my own as I sit here and read. Argentina sounds like a beautiful place - think I could get Chad to go on a trip like that? :) Max is planning his trip to Angel Rocks on Sunday and keeps talking about his trip from last year. It won't be the same without you (except I won't be there this year either). He didn't even invite me! We'll have to plan a followup trip for when you return. It seems to finally have stopped snowing... for now. One question... Did John go on the trip or is he meeting you somewhere? I love reading your posts, thanks for bring all of on your journey with you. Love and Miss you! Heather