Sunday, May 4, 2008

Day 9 - Corrientes then Iguazu

Well, I am really mixed up as to which days are which. I tried to keep track for other people so we could figure out what I am doing when, but that hasn´t worked.

Last night I had quite an adventure at the bus station. I alays do. I waited from 6pm until 1am for my bus. It was dark in Corrientes and there really wasn´t much to do, since almost EVERYTHING was closed.

I went to board a bus and it turned out to be the wrong bus, really no big deal to me, I don´t have a plan really. It ended up my bus was cancelled and the next bus was at 6am, 12hours after my arrival to the bus station. What they did was switch me bus companies so I would go to Posados then take a bus to Iguazu. This all went on with me just kind of watching and observing what they ere up to. I caught on.

I really didn´t end up minding my six hour ait at the bus station. I met an English teacher. She couldn´t believe I had never riden a bus like this in the US. She asked how we get anywhere. I told her we fly or drive our own vehicles. That was very buzar to her. I also watched people. Like everyone here drinks tea constantly. They have their thermoses of water and tea cups nd take them everywhere.

I made it to the hostel at about 11:30 am. Turns out the number in my Lonely Planet book was not to the right hostel. Courtney had made me reservations. While I was waiting to find out about a possible room-bed for myself at the hostel I noticed a women speaking English, so I introduced myself to her. Her name was Alisa, which I ended up finding out later. I called her Lisa for like two days first. Lisa is from San Diego. She ahs been here since December and leaves in July. She is here with her friend from Great Britain. Her friend, Karen, is living in BA. SAhe is working for some sort of christin group or something. She loves BA. She is hoping to move here perminately. Her brother and his girlfriend are comin tomorrow to Iguazu. They arrived in BA today from Bariloche.

While we were talking they mentioned they knew someone who was in Arentina from Alaska. Turns out they were refering to Courtney. Alisa is good friends with Lacey, Courtney´s roommate. Small world afterall.

Since I was waitin on hearing about whether I´ll have a room or not they collaborated with the receptionist and offered me their spare bed in their private room and we would split the cost three ways. So not only did I meet some new people, but I am staying in a private room and for only 55 pecos instead of 75 pecos.

Other then Alisa the majority of the people I met so far are from London. One of the guys is having a lot of trouble with his tooth. He needs a root canal. He is going to have to have it done here. He is really nervous about it. He went to check out the hospital it was going to be done at. He said there was mud on the floor. He is not sure what he is going to do.

I also met this guy from Isreal. he is very nice. He has spent the last two months traveling in Chile and Argentina. He is off to Brazil next. He was waiting for a computer to find an airplane ticket when I met him. After two months of buses I don´t blame him for not wanting to drive. Prior to coming down here he traveled around the US, Europe, and Central America. He is recently out of the military. He had saved up his money to travel.

So I also took a hot shower (the 2nd really hot shower I have been able to take since arriving). It felt so good. My other roomos-hostels have only had cold water, other then Courtney´s apartment which only had warm water. And...I got to wash my cloths! That was one of the best parts about this hostel. Yesterday and today I wore long johns and rainpants because the rest of my cloths were so dirty. So today I am going to relax, tomorrow I am goign to go to the falls, and Sunday I am going to try and go horsebackriding in the rainforest. Then the plan is to leave to Santa Fe.

Love you all! I will update my blog when I get more access to a computer!

4 comments:

Taffy said...

Jenny, check your email if you get the chance. I ran into Carl Gebhardt at the BIG I on Friday night and she was asking about you. I send him the weblink for this. Glad to hear your having such a great! So...Eric's off tomorrow for the next 3.5 weeks down at Pogo. He'll get back right about the same time you do. The Dad says hi!

Taffy said...

Oops that supposed to say, he not she. Hehe! Oh well.

Theresa said...

Hi There! Sounds like you're having a great time. I think Gramps is living vicariously through you, he's suddenly the expert on foreign travel. I print your logs in large print so that he gets the daily scoop. He's putting them in the "Jenny Shrine".

Jenny (and Hunter) said...

You guys and your comments, you just crack me up. - Jenny